Being a new parent can be one of the most overwhelming experiences that one has in their lifetime and in all kinds of ways. Bringing a new life into the world and having complete responsibility for it can seem like a scary task, especially when you first embark upon it. But it is also likely to be the most fulfilling and joyful thing that you do! There is no doubt that you have probably been inundated with advice already, from everyone from your own parents to colleagues. But we still have some words of wisdom to add that we think are essential to keep in mind!
Below are our top five tips for new parents:
1. It is okay to make mistakes. Newborns dont come with instruction manuals and no matter how prepared and organised you think you are, mistakes can happen. It is bound to be a learning process as you learn how to best care for your baby. Be more forgiving of yourself and your partner as you both deal with this new phase of your life.
2. Do it your way. At the end of the day, there will be loads of advice from everyone, both solicited and unsolicited. Sometimes you just have to do things how you want to, and different tactics will work for you and your baby. Use your own instincts and you will be fine.
3. Get some sleep when the baby sleeps. Its a well-known fact that new parents are some of the most sleep deprived people out there. Sometimes this cannot be avoided. For instance, when your baby is teething there are bond to be a lot of sleepless nights. But an excessive lack of sleep can make even the most patient person irritable and unable to focus. It is important to be as well rested as you possibly can for the baby. Easier said than done, we know!
4. Invest in what you need in terms of baby equipment, but do not panic and buy too much stuff. There are lots of things you might want for you and your baby, so it can be hard to decide what is essential. A few items that are advisable to invest in before the baby arrives are baby slings, car seats, buggies, crib, baby bath and feeding equipment.
5. When it comes to crying, there are no rules. When your baby starts bawling in a public place, try not to panic. Why not carry them in one of our Amazonas baby slings? Walk around whilst gently patting them gently on the back most babies find baby slings super-soothing and will soon drift off into a very welcome midday snooze. One can never be sure what triggers the tears or how exactly they should be dealt with. Use your instincts to work out how to settle your baby and try not to become overwhelmed. It is the most natural thing in the world for babies to cry and most of the time it is not due to distress, it is just as a means of communication, signalling their hunger or discomfort often because of tiredness.
Want some cool things for your baby? Check out Funky Giraffes super-funky range of baby bibs, baby clothes, baby shoes and other cool ideas for you and your family!